Seattle Ticker

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Linton Invasion!

I apologize for my brief blogging vacation.  And also for the inundation of new blog posts in the next few days, I am going to try to catch up on about a month of blogging.  It was quite a month, with family visits, friend visits and holidays galore!! So here it goes...

Most importantly was the visit of my dad and sister from Ohio to Seattle! It was my dad's first visit in almost 50 years to the great Northwest (he came on a family vacation in 1962 when the Space needle first opened) and my sister's first visit to the Northwest and the first time both of them have been to see me here in Seattle and meet Ryan's family.  I was so excited for their trip and planned out a great time for all.  They were very VERY lucky in that for the first 3 weeks of December it was the driest on record.  In fact their first day here was absolutely beautiful and clear and it was a perfect day to get a little snack at the market before heading to the Space Needle.  It didn't take long for both of them to love the market and all the neat things it holds.  The trip to the Space Needle was amazing! We could easily see all the way to Mt. Baker and beyond into Canada and far south to see Mt. St. Helens on the horizon.  It was a little emotional for my dad too considering his first trip here was the summer the Space Needle opened and he was only 8 years old.  It was amazing the things that he remembered and memories that flooded back for him.  Needless to say it was a great first day of their visit!   
Dad and Holly in front of the original Starbucks with their Piroshky Piroshky treats

Dad at Pike Place fish getting ready for an unforgettable fish catching experience

Holly with one of the fish guys

The next day we all woke up at Sue's house (so amazingly generous of Bob and Sue to open their home to us) and headed out to see where I work at Seattle Children's Hospital and a quick shopping trip to University Village before heading back to the east side for a little wine tasting and dinner at the Stone House.  Wine tasting was so fun, and such a great thing to share with my family as that really isn't something you can do in the midwest.  And then of course it was great to take them to the restaurant so they could really see Ryan in his element and try some of his delicious food!  My dad and sister both loved wine tasting and dinner at the StoneHouse and can't wait to try both again!

Cute holiday picture of Holly and me at U Village in the sled

Dad, me and Holly at Chateau Ste Michelle ready to kick off wine tasting

Holly relaxing on the DeLille heated patio

Sisters! at DeLille

On their last full day in Seattle my dad and sister wanted to re visit their favorite destination.. Pike Place Market for more Piroshky, Starbucks and memories.  I am so glad they could see one of the reasons I love Seattle so much and they loved it too.  After a trip downtown, it was more holiday shopping in Bellevue and then a big Donaldson family dinner before really getting in the holiday spirit at Snowflake Lane and the Bellevue Botanical Gardens with their holiday lights.  The lights at the Botanical Gardens was the most impressive light display I have EVER seen and if you are in the Seattle area next Christmas it is a MUST!  Everything is done by hand and all volunteer hours, it is really quite incredible and a great way to really feel like it was Christmastime!

Holly by her favorite Seattle treat

The aquarium lights at the Botanical Gardens - those Jellyfish blink!

Botanical Garden light pond with moving fountain

Oh and yes that is a grape orchard arch!

All in all the Linton Invasion to the Great Pacific Northwest was incredible and I am so glad I got to spend time with my family near the holidays and show them why I love Seattle so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment