Seattle Ticker

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Friday, January 13, 2012

A Christmas Classic... The Nutcracker!

One of my favorite Christmas traditions is The Nutcracker.  This is probably because it is very near and dear to me as I have a little (read sarcasm here) experience with it... Oh say performing it probably over 100 times over 7 years...
That's me in the middle as Clara (I think I was probably 11 or 12) getting ready to perform with some of my Merlitone and Snowflake friends and of course Miss Allison giving me last minute advice.

As the Arabian dancer with professional dancer Allen Gartrell.  This was my favorite and most "famous" role from the Nutcracker.

After a performance with Amy Beyland as the Spanish dancer and Karen Hocwalt (the original Arabian dancer from Cincinnati Ballet)

Luckily for me, the Donaldsons also hold The Nutcracker as a most important Christmas tradition in their family.  I was so excited to attend the Pacific Northwest Ballet's performance of this Christmastime classic.  I had heard of the amazing costumes and set's designed by no other than Maurice Sendak (illustrator of Where the Wild Things Are).  Needless to say, the sets were absolutely unbelievable!  And costumes like none I have ever seen, it was definitely a spectacle and delight for all.  And the dancing...wow!  I of course, heard only a few notes of the Grand Pas de duex and began crying.  I'm not sure why this is, if it is just thinking of the hours and hours and years of practicing or the absolutely perfectly played notes by the orchestra, or the dancing, or the magic of the ballet and season, but every time I  hear it I cry.  It was a wonderful memory that I will cherish forever.  

Dyllan and Caitlyn in front of the mini sets they have set up in the lobby, too cute! 

Mason and Caitlyn ready for the show! They have been going since they were babies!

Me with Herr Drosselymeyer, just an example of the unbelievable sets!

No comments:

Post a Comment