Seattle Ticker

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Choose Your Adventure!

Adventure racing is one of the latest and greatest trends in running.  It is a way to test your endurance, use your brain and have a great time!  Some examples are the Muddy Buddy, Warrior Dash, and the Mud Run.  I tackled, and successfully completed the Oyster Race and the Great Urban Race.  My first experience was the Oyster race which has several options, the full Oyster which includes biking and running with challenges all over the city, the half oyster - same idea only half as many challenges, and the individual Oyster - only on foot and five challenges but you can use help from other individuals.  Ryan's sisters Carrie and Joni joined me in the fun!  We had a great time and even got a cowbell as a medal!  ANY race that has a cowbell as a medal is pretty awesome if you ask me.

Sarah, Carrie and Joni after mastering the Oyster Race!

My next attempt at an adventure race, was much more akin to The Amazing Race.  In this particular race the top 25 teams qualify for the National Championship!  You may or may not know that I am pretty competitive and it is a dream of mine to qualify for a National Championship in something.  So Ryan and I set out to tackle the Great Urban Race in our matching Washington Husky gear.  We were very systematic and opened our clues and took a few minutes to make a plan for the race to eliminate as much wasted time as possible.  (Unlike the Amazing Race - in the Urban Race you get all 12 clues at the beginning there are about 300 teams competing, so it's necessary to do it this way) We mapped a great plan and started out on about a mile run to the Market.  About halfway there I somehow tripped over a barricade in the middle of the street and slid across the road and twisted my ankle.  Oh yes!  Did I mention I am a klutz???  I got up shook off the fall and we competed very very hard and finished at team #20!!! We qualified for the National Championship, bleeding legs, bum ankle and all!  It really was a great experience I would highly recommend to anyone, well except the getting injured part!


The National Qualifiers!!!

OUCH!!! Road rash!

1 comment:

  1. When is the National competition and are you going to do it?!?!?

    ReplyDelete