Seattle Ticker

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving, what I am thankful for..

I love Thanksgiving.  I feel it really gives us a chance to reflect on all we have to be thankful for.  It is also a time to look back on memories and traditions.  This year especially I have been thinking about memories and traditions with the passing of my grandmother earlier this year.  I am so glad that I was able to spend Thanksgiving with her last year, I was able to surprise her and the rest of my family on Thanksgiving day.  It was so fun to share that day and that memory with her.  The only thing missing was her amazing oyster casserole.  Since I am the only grandkid that would eat the oyster casserole and my dad and grandma were the only other two people that would eat it she didn't make it last year.  It was always a staple at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and it was my grandmother that instilled my love of oysters.


This year as Ryan and I prepared for Thanksgiving he asked me if there was something we could do to bring my family traditions into his family's Thanksgiving.  I instantly thought of oyster casserole.  But I wanted to make it ours, something we could start as a tradition.  So with Ryan's amazing chef skills we took those same flavors I remembered from the time I was a kid and made our own oyster stuffing.  We used oysters from the famous Pike Place fish market and brioche bread to incorporate the buttery flavor of buttery Waverley Wafers.  We also added andouille sausage, onions, sage, thyme, and parsley.  I have to say it was a big hit at the Donaldson family Thanksgiving.  Everyone loved it and are already asking if we are making it next year.  I know that my Jeanie girl (my grandma) is looking down on me with a big smile.  I know she must be proud that I brought her recipe inspiration to the Pacific Northwest.

The oysters, andouille, onions and seasonings before mixing with the bread


Our Thanksgiving table

No comments:

Post a Comment