Seattle Ticker

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Crazy little thing called the running bug

Once upon a very long time ago...(almost six years ago to be exact) I met two girls that would in a way change my life.  On Halloween 2006, my very first shift in the ER in Chicago I met Hillary Moon (now Sanders) and Amy Haug.  They invited me to go to Starbucks with them, I knew we were going to be instant friends.  A few weeks later these seemingly uncrazy women asked me if I wanted to run a half marathon with them, I said sure even though I didn't really intend on doing it, heck I had only run 2 miles at once ever in my life.  Out of desperation of wanting friends or a little bit of craziness in my own right, I decided to do it!  I was going to train with these amazing women and I was going to run a half marathon.  I still remember pouring over Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham like it was gospel.  I learned how to train, how to eat, how to think like a long distance athlete.  I remember the first time I ran 5 miles, 6 miles (Amy and Jon that was the whiny run when I wanted to take a cab), the time I ran 8 miles all like it was yesterday.  I remember my first race, the 2007 Shamrock Shuffle and running it with Amy and Hillary side by side ...in matching outfits no less.  And I remember lining up a the starting line of the Indy Mini, our chosen half marathon wondering, can I really do this??  I did do it, and so did Amy and Hillary!  It was fun and we were so proud of our accomplishment.  

I ran 3 other half marathons over the next few years and trained for the Chicago marathon only to get injured and somehow vowed I would never run a marathon because I knew I could do it because I had run 22 miles in training.  I have fallen in and out of love with running, this amazing and CRAZY sport over the years but right now I am absolutely crazy in love with it again.  I am running the Seattle half marathon the Sunday after Thanksgiving and recently have been getting the bug to run a marathon again.  Luckily there are plenty of crazys right here in Seattle to support me in this dream, including Ryan.  He too is running the Seattle half, his first, and I can't wait to line up at the starting line with him and to be there with him to celebrate at the end.  

Here are a few pictures from that first half marathon that started all this CRAZY love...

Here I am, ready to run 13.1

Me, Hillary, and Amy about mile 11-12, we still look pretty happy

Finishers!!!! With our medals and of course matching outfits head to toe

I am not really sure what I am doing here, but I always have loved this shot of me and Hillary

1 comment:

  1. awe shucks Sarah, what a sweet blog. I totally miss you as my running buddy. I've always liked that last picture too, but if you look closely, I don't have any weight on my left leg because of my crazy knee spasms. Glad that never happened again. Best wishes for your upcoming races, I'm so excited for you!!! I've got a 10k a week from Saturday!

    PS. Herc. needs a ticker too!

    ReplyDelete